Sunday, December 21, 2008

Happy Winter Solstice!

Happy shortest day of the year everyone! It's all uphill from here....at least until next winter is approaching...We've been collecting snow around our place again - a new hobby of ours it seems. The drifts in front of the shop door are growing daily with the wind and snowfall, and shoveling is once again a daily routine. Friday night, we actually went snow boot shopping to prepare for another long winter. Andy had just been using his lace-up work boots and I had too-big snow boots given to me years ago.Yesterday was an absolutely beautiful day, and after sleeping in, I was suddenly excited to go play in the snow! So, I shoved my feet into my new boots (tags still attached, Andy pointed out later) and pulled my coat over my PJ's and out I went. Ended up taking pictures and shoveling instead of playing, but it was fun anyway!
Then, today was the real play day. We packed up our sled and tube and a pile of warm clothes and drove out to our friends' house in the Moscow hills. Susan and Tim have access to some great sledding hills, and invited us to come play! What better way to celebrate winter solstice?!
The hike up to the top was rather laborious, but we were excited about the idea of flying back down.
Andy pushed Susan, Tim, and Gretchen (Tim's daughter) and they literally plowed thru the powder until they couldn't push thru anymore and came to an abrupt halt laughing, faces full of snow.
Andy and I took our turn(s) too. The first attempt was very successful! We went pretty slow, but made it clear to the bottom! The next few attempts didn't go quite so smoothly...We went MUCH faster! but couldn't stay on the original trail and ended up flying down a shorter, steeper hill just plowing thru the powder!

And, ultimately crashing into some messy heap of heads, boots, and sled!The final run, we were determined to make it clear to the bottom, no matter how many times we had to restart! Finally, we got going good and then just kept going! Right to the bottom of the hill, over the buried 'fence', and into the creek!! Buried soooo deep, you can just barely see the sled.
Oh what fun it is to ride.....a bright orange plastic sled!


2 comments:

Heitmann Family said...

You guys have been having lots of fun it seems!! I would love to go sledding, it would be so much fun!! But like you I would need some snow attire! I hope you have a good Christmas at Margaret's.

Anonymous said...

Looks like you had a blast! And I love your snow boots. This post made me laugh. :)