Saturday, September 27, 2008

Got Bread?

So....I love to bake. Pies, mainly. Cookies, cinnamon rolls, dinner rolls - anything that involves closely following a recipe, manipulating dough and having the reward of something delicious to share. In the last year, I have tried...maybe 3 times to bake just a normal loaf of bread. The first time, it came out weighing 20 pounds, I swear. The next...was a little better but once it was not longer fresh-out-of-the-oven, it was horribly dry. So, I decide a few weeks ago, to try again!
I pull out a new recipe to try - my mom's recipe for white bread. Trouble is, it is written for those who know what they are doing. It lists the ingredients and then says - "Knead, form and bake like normal bread". So, I'm looking at 3 different recipes at the same time, trying to decide how to finish this out. The dough turned out perfectly elastic, soft, raised incredibly well - I was going to nail it this time!!

When the timer goes off, I excitedly open the oven and pull this out....The world's tallest loaf of bread - for sure!! I'm beginning to wonder if maybe the recipe was supposed to say something like "Yield: 2 loaves"???

We had to store it in a plastic bag saved from a pack of 18 hamburger buns...Sandwiches for lunch were made with one slice, cut in half...BUT it was everything homemade bread should be - just on a larger scale :)

2 comments:

Mom (aka Grandma) said...

mmmmm... I love the smell of baking bread! And especially in the fall. A great loaf of bread! I will look forward to tasting your creations!

Janet said...

hilarious! You write it so funny too!