Friday, June 13, 2008

Home Improvement

With the summer comin' and goin' from day to day, we weren't sure if we would ever complete the house project we had in mind. We bought the wood months ago from Home Depot with a very practical wedding gift card, and hauled it up from Clarkston a couple of weeks ago. Sanding and painting began last Thursday with lots of help from Beth.

That weekend, the weather cooperated and we got the first stages of the pergola into place, and started sanding and painting the second layer. After a very lonnnng day and late night - Andy made milkshakes for us and even brought one out to the shop for me so I could have a refreshing break from sanding the endless 2x2's.
The main supports and the first layer - done and looking fine at the end of the day.
We've been priming and painting 2x2's almost every night this week, while it's been raining and even snowing outside! And then today came - with absolutely perfect weather! Susan came over from Portland for a 3-day weekend, I took the day off, and Beth and Andy worked half days. Andy spent his afternoon finishing the pergola while my sisters and I pulled wheelbarrow after wheelbarrow of weeds from the garden and flower beds. We'll be sore tomorrow for sure - a little from sunburn and a lot from pulling stubborn weeds and climbing ladders, but it was such a satisfying day! (and we're relaxing tomorrow at Coeur d'Alene lake :)

3 comments:

Heitmann Family said...

It looks so good. I hear you about weeding. I did the same thing yesterday and I am feeling it today. It does feel good to get things accomplished thought doesn't it?!!

Tara A. Rowe said...

You're going to have to put Beth on the payroll pretty soon...

Mom (aka Grandma) said...

Your pergola looks great! It will be such a great place to enjoy your summer days and nights!