Sunday, January 24, 2010

Off to a Great Start!

 2010 is off to a great start here!  We've been enjoying some almost-spring weather this past week (if you don't count the snow yesterday).  Today, I went out in a t-shirt to take this picture and didn't even get goosebumps!

We brought in the new year playing our new Monopoly City game with Beth.  She and I bankrupted Andy and went on to have a pretty close game.  This version of monopoly is definitely more interesting than the classic one.

 You have houses, industrial buildings, parks, schools, prisons, sewage plants, solid waste dumps, railroad stations, and even skyscrapers.  There are auctions where you set a timer and bid on a property until it goes off and the highest bid wins.  These can get pretty intense when you're trying to keep a player from owning all of the same color of property because that is the only way they can build a skyscraper.  I came away with $54.99 million and Beth had a good chunk too with $47.7 million when we called it quits.  Fun times!

Andy has been working away on the '49 GMC, doing most of the work on shop nights when Forrest can make it over to help out.  Since he started his side job for the local machine shop and laundromat, he hasn't had many free evenings.
Last you saw, the '77 Nova was torn apart and in a pile waiting to go under the '49 GMC.  Well, now the '49 GMC is in pieces!

 

 
 The original front clip of the truck was cut off and replaced with the Nova front clip.  It is just tack welded in place for now while more measurements are taken.
 
 The new clip lowered the truck quite a bit and it's going to look really cool!  I'll post more pictures as it goes back together.

Yesterday, we took a trip down to Lewiston to see our good friend Nick and to look at another potential project...and we brought it home!

 The newest addition is this fabulously small 1931 Model A sedan.  The body fits perfectly in the back of the pickup!  And, you know what's even more exciting than that?

This one's mine!!!

I'd been trying to decide what kind of project would suit me...although I realllly love the big ol' cars of the late 50's I'm kinda scared to drive them because they are so huge!  Sure, I grew up driving station wagons, but I think a '59 Cadi might be even bigger than "the Bomb"!
 
Needless to say, a Model A is much smaller than either of them, and Andy pointed this out as we were driving with it in the back of the pickup.  And, he said, "I just bought you a Model A for your birthday".
Uhhhh, you did?!  Are you being serious?!  Hmmm!
And, I haven't been able to stop thinking about it since.
I am ecstatic to say that my very first car will be a homebuilt 1931 Model A!  Seriously, how cool is that?  I'm giddy just thinking about designing it...

Thank you, Andyman, for this thoughtful early-birthday present!

1 comment:

Janet said...

Oh the joys of that beautiful get-a-way car. You'll have great stories to tell about your first car. You'll have to remind who you tell that is wasn't from your time necessarily, just a cool car.:)