
Satara and I are a bit paranoid to be late again, so we show up at Canary Wharf early this morning. While waiting for the group, we check out a strange outdoor exhibit with Mini Coopers, a thrown, and this pretty cool sidewalk art:

Then, we enter today's attraction - The Museum of London at Docklands.

We are told at the entry that most visitors are amazed by the broad range of materials and information in this 4-story museum, and we begin with an introductory video before splitting up to explore.

It isn't long before I'm impressed. They have a variety of display cases and walls to create a pathway through the history of London by theme - the river, the war, the underground, etc. The educational posters are supplemented with amazing 3D models of boats, docks, parts of the city, etc...

...as well as amazingly detailed paintings...

...and even an area set up to make it feel like you are walking through the streets of historic London in the evening, looking into dimly lit shops and hearing animated conversation from a pub's open window. I have to admit that I am completely on edge walking through this section by myself. I think it is going to be haunted for sure! Talking with Satara after, it turns out she had the same reaction.


Once I make it through that, I notice a nonexhibit that makes me laugh. A light meter placed in a display case but clearly labeled that it is not actually a display!

And, on the next floor up, I find this poem and read it a few times...it kind of speaks to the contradicting emotions that I've felt while in this city.

Before we know it, we've been here for 3 hours and we're all starving. Thankfully they have a little deli on the bottom floor - and they are so into recycling that you actually have to return your garbage to the front counter and they make sure it gets to the right bins.
We are free until 19:00. Satara and I decide to breeze through the underground mall here on Canary Wharf, just to see what it is like. It is insanely busy and full of highend stores, so we walk quickly through and escape by escalator back to daylight. We emerge at Canada Square and hear music. Following it, we see there's a battle of the bands going on, so we find a spot on the grass. We've made it in time for the last 2 groups. The first one is alright, although the music often drowns out her voice.

The second reminds us of John Mayer.

In the midst of the music, Satara points out the letters on the back of a fellow spectator's jeans - ECS. For nerdy architecture students, that means only one thing Environmental Control Systems - the class we all take from Professor Bruce!

Once the music is over, we realize we're hungry and decide to check out a food place you just can't miss when looking for a place to...

They sell sandwiches, salads, drinks, cookies, etc - all the makings for a good lunch. So, we get ours and eat it on the steps of an old church.

Then, we take the tube to the London Bridge stop. We want to see what's so special about this bridge that it gets in a song. Well, you should know it is the least exciting bridge that crosses the Thames in this part of London!

We shop to pass the time and then it's show time! We have tickets to "As You Like It" at Shakespeare's Globe theater. I've been looking forward to this for days!

We are groundlings for this show, so we stand for the entire time, packed in the center at ground level. I am a little skeptical of this idea, but once the play starts, it is absolutely wonderful!! In the center, I feel part of the action. I'm in the back section prior to intermission, and we have to move out of the way for the actors and actresses as they enter and exit from the rear of the theater. I'm giddy-happy and probably grinning ear to ear. I must have looked ridiculously cheerful because even the bad guy smirked when we made eye contact.
After intermission, I got to sneak in closer to the stage - what an experience! The stage has two peninsulas that the actors often go out on to do their monologues. If you're familiar with the story, the Joker is my favorite character. He really engages the spectators, poking fun at some by using gestures with his scripted humor. Very clever. From my perspective, the play surrounds me on all sides and I am so caught up in it that I don't realize just how sore my feet are from standing until the cast does their final bow and disappears for the last time. It takes some time to break away from the atmosphere and I am one of the last to leave the theater.
The night is a little cool, but feels great after being packed in with the other groundlings. Satara and I walk along the river, and try taking some nice shots with our cameras. This is of Tower Bridge.

On the tube ride home, there is another performing group jumping trains. This time the trio plays accordian, clarinet, and drums. Maybe they do this on the late night tube every night?
No comments:
Post a Comment