So, pictured above is my Saturday morning creation - while waiting for Andy's flight to come in. It is known as Raspberry Cream Cheese Coffee Cake...and I've been told that it's delicious! :)
If it sounds good to you, go ahead and try it:
Ingredients
2-1/4 c. flour
3/4 c. sugar
3/4 c. butter/margarine
1/2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 sour cream (I use yogurt instead)
1 egg, beaten
1-1/2 tsp. almond extract
Filling
1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 sugar
1 egg
1/2 c. raspberry jam
1/2 c. silvered almonds
In a large mixing bowl, combine flour and sugar. Cut in butter as for pastry. Remove 1 cup and set aside. To the remaining crumbs, add baking powder, baking soda, salt, sour cream, egg and almond extract; mix well.
Spread in the bottom and up the sides of a 9 in. spring form pan (i just use a round cake pan).
For the filling, beat cream cheese, sugar, and egg in a small bowl; mix well. Pour over batter; spoon raspberry jam on top. Sprinkle with almonds and reserved crumbs. Bake at 350° for 55-60 minutes. Let stand 15 minutes before removing sides from pan. Yield: 9-12 servings.
*My opinion: tastes best after chilling overnight.
Another surprising success - French Bread! I didn't have a camera handy, but I do have the recipe (thanks Janet!)
Janet's French Bread
2 pkg. (or 2 tablespoons) dry yeast
1/2 cup warm water
2 cups hot water
3 tablespoons sugar
5 tablespoons cooking oil or shortening
6 cups flour (unsifted)
1 tablespoon salt
Dissolve yeast in warm water. Combine hot water, sugar, shortening or oil, salt, and half the flour. Add yeast. Beat well. Stir in remaining ingredients. Mix until stirred. Leave spoon in batter and let rest for 10 minutes. Repeat 5 times and turn onto floured surface. Divide into two loaves. Roll each into a 7x12 inch rectangle and then roll as a jelly roll beginning with long edge. Place on greased cookie sheet with seam side down. Slash 3 times with sharp knife. Brush with egg if desired. Let rise under damp towel for 30 minutes. Bake at 400 degrees for 35 minutes.
Last night's baking spree had a sweet result! Peanut Butter Heath Bits Cookies....yes I stole the recipe off the Heath English Toffee Bits bag...and it was worth it. :) I won't type it here, since you'll have to go get the bag of bits to even make them and the recipe will be right there handy for ya.
And...my favorite of all favorites to make...pie. Especially a brand-new kind of pie!
The way this one came about was...we went to his Aunt Barb's for Christmas dinner and they had an Apple-Cranberry pie there. The combination sounded strange, but it was really good! So, as we're eating it, Andy says to me "Hey, do you think you could do something like this except with raspberries?" Sure, why not, right? But....I'm a conformist, law-abider, and recipe-follower, so instead of just making it up, I Googled it. And, lo and behold Martha Stewart has tried such a thing!!
I made two pies, one for us and one for the neighbors. The neighbors called it "absolutely perfect" and Andy declared that it's probably his new favorite! Give it up for Martha Stewart!
3 comments:
Yummm...not the type of food to look at or drool over when trying to lose weight! Can't wait to have you "try" your recipes on us when we visit!
Tasty looking! I've had a lot of success with two similar kinds of pie - cranberry-pear and raspberry-peach. If you want either recipe, let me know. :)
When are you coming next? We'll let you fix breakfast or dessert any day! :)
Post a Comment