Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Great Harvest

A frost last Friday night took care of the rest of our garden and sweetened the fruit on the trees, so we were in for a day of hard work! Andy came home after only one day of elk hunting up north and Beth came out from Moscow, and we made quite a team!

Beth and I tackled the 2 apple and 2 plum trees, filling boxes with fruit, while Andy concentrated on the many tomato plants - picking and sorting the ripe from the green. Then, we all gathered to see what kind of carrots we'd been growing underground. This little guy came out of one of the rows, and Beth quickly claimed and named him.
We also had a couple of monsters that had room to grow - and grow they did!The overall one-day harvest looked like a regular farmer's market!
and, prompted Beth and I to strike the farmer pose as we were coming in from the garden:
Once all the produce was brought in, Beth and I tried making plum jam while Andy finished yanking all the dead plants and making a burn pile. What a productive day!


And...Just in case you had any doubts, this girl here is the most wonderful, lovable little sister in the world :)

Thanks Bethers!

2 comments:

Heitmann Family said...

Wow what a harvest. Ours totally.... sucked, is the only word for it. I think we got three tomatoes and three squash. that was it. There were more tomatoes on the plants but they never turned. Maybe next year.

And I think it is now my turn to get a new camera. Someone please steal my old one!!!

Janet said...

That is definitely the look of a farmer's market... and some cute farmer's to boot. I love the sister fun you still have!!!